Author Topic: How to replace the rudder lifting cord on my Bayraider?  (Read 3819 times)

Alf Lande

During inspection of  the rudder I noticed that the lifting cord is due for replacement. The cord attachment point is inside the rudder itself - plastered / sealed - and I can not get to it unless I somehow drill my way into the glasfibre.
If anyone have good advice on how best to do this job - please come forward.
Regards Alf Lande, Norway

Matthew P

Re: How to replace the rudder lifting cord on my Bayraider?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2014, 16:57 »
Hello Alf

I too have had to replace my lifting cord.  The only way I found was to drill out the epoxy encapsulating the stop-knot but this was easier than I expected.  The new cord was easy to fit but the blade needs to be laid horizontal and the cord exit hole well stuffed to prevent the replacement epoxy dribbling out.  My boat was an early one and I notice newer boats have split, freely rotating, rollers at the bend up tpwards the tiller, which I presume cause less abrasion to the lifting cord than the single shared roller (that probably does not rotate freely) on my boat

More challenging was aligning the bolt and packing washers when re-fitting the blade to the hinge.  You might get a few clues by looking at:  Swallow Boats Forum » Technical  » Rudder Play

Good luck!

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Julian Swindell

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2014, 20:17 »
Hi Alf
I replaced both uphaul and downhaul lines on my Baycruiser over the summer, and it turned out much easier than I feared. I did it at the dockside, pulling the stern up the slipway to get the blade off and then later back on. I thought I needed a big drill to remove the old epoxy, but it is easier with a small one. It all drilled out in just a few minutes and the ropes pulled free. I replaced the original ropes with dyneema cored ones. This allowed them to be thinner, and this has reduced friction considerably. I epoxied them into place using 5 minute rapid setting Araldite, and that worked a treat. You have to work fairly quickly, but it is not difficult if you get everything ready before you mix it. The whole job took a lot less than an hour and I went straight back sailing from the dock.
What I would like to know is how on earth do you replace the lines on the centreboard?
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Alf Lande

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2014, 22:18 »
Julian and Mattew; thanks for sharing your experience and your good advices.

I am sure that someone will come up with the key to solve the mystery of the centerboard lines....

Alf

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2014, 21:19 »
If the centre board is like that on a BC23, I suspect you have to drop the centreboard out of the boat.. Perhaps Matt can advise us all.

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"