Author Topic: Swallow Boats Raid 2015  (Read 27247 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Swallow Boats Raid 2015
« Reply #60 on: 04 Jul 2015, 11:36 »
Mylor is a great place to sail and we had a splendid, if sometimes eventful time.  Thank you to Helen and Chris and to all the others who made it possible.  Well run, efficiently safety boated and with excellent food.  On our table at least, loads of wine at supper too!

I have posted my photos on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/80529710@N07/sets/72157655415746985/.  I don't know why but I think the first two photos of "five blokes and an engine" are hilarious.  Apologies for the photos of the front of my boat and back of my head but you'll see that somewhere further in, the timelapse captured something interesting for once.  The later pictures of individual boats are slightly soft focus but I think the lense may have had mud from the riverbed smeared on it..
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter_Williams

« Reply #61 on: 04 Jul 2015, 14:22 »
Here are some more pictures taken by Alison and me on what was a fun event.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71517706@N08/sets/72157655417025092/with/19400329102/

Rock Doctor

« Reply #62 on: 08 Jul 2015, 18:53 »
Hello All,
I was great for an Aussie to join the Swallow Boats Raid in a BC 23 care of Dudley. Sailing on the Tuesday was a real experience, waters of the bay first followed by the challenges of the river (did I see two inverted BR20s? - so I am not the only one who has done that stunt).

To see 26 SBs on the water together was very special.

The organisation was superb as was the venue - congratulations to Helen and all involved.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

James Lowden

« Reply #63 on: 12 Jul 2015, 13:04 »
"The story and saviours of 'Tarika' BR17 at SB Falmouth Raid 2015".
The week began well with home in Surrey getting the full blast of the summer heatwave of high 30's to 40C while we basked in the cool airs around Mylor at 15C - 20C.
My first error, on the first day of the Raid, was not to use my padded seats. Too many things to sort out taking my mind off protecting the nether regions.
Of course salt and water and sliding around on the seats took their toll and by the time the pain had penetrated the haze of my overworked brain it was too late, the damage was done!!.
I spent the rest of the week applying Aloe Vera cream and have only just(1 week later) begun to experience the joys of sitting without pain again.
The sailing and racing was frantic and peaceful in equal measures with strong winds, no winds and the joys of huge gusts up the river estuaries - reminded me of Salcombe!.
As we had came to enjoy the scenery and sailing experience - I'm not sure how much of the surroundings I managed to take in.
Fortunately my long suffering wife Lin took the time to take some excellent photos, so I could look back at later.
The only major problem came on the 2nd day after we landed on the beach up Helford passage after a long sail around from Mylor.
As we beached the boat the centre board was forced up into the boat trapping two lines alongside the CB handle.
Try as I might I could not free off the lines, the CB was well and truly jammed tight.
I, unusually, ran out of ideas eventually and requested if the couple in the boat next to us, Alison & Peter in Boadicea, had any ideas.
Nothing emerged from our combined brain power except, Peter suggested that he get this huge shackle that he had continually carried around with him as "it might come in handy some day".
This was that day.
It fitted perfectly around the CB handle and on the way back, under motor, I managed to remove the up haul rope and grommets to find that the shackle screw fitted perfectly through the handle hole.
Now I had something that I could put even more purchase onto it to try to free the CB.
I had visions of getting back to Mylor and requesting a crane to try to lift it up!!.
Finally I found that the 'T' handle of my paddle just fitted under the side of the shackle and with approx 30:1 purchase started to move the CB.
I was worried that the handle might break off with the strain but it held out and the CB and lines were finally freed.
By then, mind and body were totally exhausted so we continued to motor back to Mylor after refilling the Suzuki's fuel tank.
Having delayed Alison & Peter's exit from the beach, they rowed and sailed hard to get to the next start, while all the other boats motored past at speed to get there in time. They were very late to start but battled on regardless.
We and the safety boat crews then repeatedly asked if they would like a tow back, but they rightly and stubbornly refused assistance.
Their heroic actions were rightfully rewarded with a prize that night, for being the only boat which sailed and rowed the whole race without using a motor(they didn't have one!) and for their kind assistance.
As well as them we met many other interesting sailing characters and the atmosphere and friendliness was brilliant.
Many thanks for the excellent organization - 'we will be back'.
Herewith some pics:
   https://picasaweb.google.com/103187633815556867979/SBFalmouthRaid2015FromTarikaForSwallowBoaters?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Jim L
BR17 'Tarika'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #64 on: 12 Jul 2015, 16:12 »
James,

Sudocrem zinc oxide cream is particularly good for persistent cases of trench buttock.  Also used for treating nappy rash in babies.  It's messy but speaking as one who tends to get wet and then sits in it, it works for me.

Alison & Peter's fighting spirit and self reliance are exactly what Sail Caledonia is looking for when it awards its Highlander Trophy "Complete the whole event entirely self-sufficient and unaided, with the exception of evening meals which are provided. Competitors have to carry all their gear, no tows or extra crew are allowed, and passage may only be made by sailing and rowing - no motors allowed! A real test of skill and stamina in the true spirit of a Raid." 

Acts of exemplary selflessness are not recognised by an award but perhaps they should be.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

« Reply #65 on: 13 Jul 2015, 06:49 »
What a fun week; something for everyone including cream teas, swimming, beer, more food, exercise (for those who wanted it or had a bucko skipper), food, some sailing and time with old friends and new.  Thanks Helen, Peter and all the people who organised it with such success.

I'm not good on Flickr but I hope my snaps can be seen at https://flic.kr/s/aHskfsZ8tP

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

James Lowden

« Reply #66 on: 13 Jul 2015, 16:32 »
Your Flickr pics worked v. well, though the video was a bit short - I think we got the idea.
I am now changing to use Flickr as it is a much more interesting display system than boring old Picasa.
Thanks for also taking two pics of 'Tarika' which we mostly don't see - must get one of these 10ft 'selfie' sticks.
Jim L
BR17 'Tarika'