Author Topic: "Let's celebrate Waterloo"  (Read 4385 times)

David Hudson

"Let's celebrate Waterloo"
« on: 17 Jun 2015, 12:49 »
I will raise a glass of Irish for one of our greatest / luckiest Generals tomorrow!
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

PeterDT

Re: "Let's celebrate Waterloo"
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2015, 18:39 »
As you are obviously referring to David Hendrik Chassé, Dutch general under Wellington, who gave the French the decisive blow with his 3rd division after the British troops fled from the battlefield, i will join you with a wee dram. Wellington downplayed the rol of Chassé, probably out of shame.
B.t.w., what's the connection with Swallow boats?

Peter

IanCollinson

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2015, 20:18 »
Hi Peter. One of the regiments saved by Chasse was the 69th which had been nearly destroyed a few days earlier when the Prince of Orange ordered them to deploy out of square in sight of French cavalry. I am not surprised they were a bit shaky when they were also the ones facing the French Guard at the close of Waterloo!
I am taking my boys to Waterloo this weekend for the 200th anniversary. I would prefer to sail my BR17 over the North Sea to get there than go through what the 69th did...
BR17 Rosalita

David Hudson

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2015, 21:10 »
This a General discussion Forum?

After all, this was an away match with Francophile commentators and our team was as multinational as our brave cricket team of recent years.

I visited the Waterloo site in 1962. I think it must have been a French franchise. Ian, I hope your boys are not confused by the experience. I know I was, aged 13.

I'm a great fan of Prussian Blues, (twelve bar of course).
David H.
BRe No. 35

Michael Rogers

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2015, 19:18 »
This has nothing to do with Swallowboats, but does have a connection with sailing. The Royal Welsh Yacht Club (I hope I've got its title right) has a rather amazing 'clubhouse' in (literally in the thickness of the walls of) Caernarfon Castle. It was founded around 1850, and its first Commodore was the Marquess of Anglesea who, as General Paget, served under Wellington at Waterloo, where he lost a leg. He and Wellington were watching the course of the battle, when a stray (or deliberate?) cannon ball took Paget's leg off as he sat astride his horse next to Wellington's - it apparently missed Wellington and both horses. The following conversation is alleged to have taken place. Paget -'By Jove, sir, I believe I have lost a leg'. Wellington -'By Jove, sir, I believe you have'. (That's what an education at Eton does for you.) Well, Paget survived to a ripe old age, was given a title for his pains (literally), and became a yachtsman.

Michael

David Hudson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2015, 10:28 »
Beautiful weather in St Helena at this time of year.
David H.
BRe No. 35

Michael Rogers

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2015, 18:39 »
I apologise for not being able to spell AnglesEY correctly
M