Author Topic: Boats (sorry, yachts) and banking  (Read 3818 times)

Michael Rogers

Boats (sorry, yachts) and banking
« on: 11 Nov 2015, 18:54 »
In contrast to most places, Classic FM reception is poor around our new neck of the woods, so I don't listen here as much as I used to oop North (have to make do with BBC Radio 3 instead). I haven't therefore heard 'It' myself, but I am reliably informed that, sandwiched between Mozart and Rachmaninov, the dulcet tones of none other than our very own Matt Newland can be heard extolling the helpful virtues of a certain well-known financial institution (no, not Wonga, a bit more up-market than that).

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Boats (sorry, yachts) and banking
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2015, 18:04 »
It's Barclays, so not that much more upmarket than Wonga.

Have you tried internet radio? As long as you have a reasonable connection, you can receive just about any station anywhere in the world, including Classic FM. I'm currently listening to Radio 4 (Six o'clock news) in Addis Ababa on my iPad.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2015, 19:52 »
(I really must work much harder at NOT raising non-sailing topics on a sailing forum). I used mainly to listen to Classic FM on the car radio, but actually I don't miss it that much. Except when Matt is entertaining us, the adverts get a bit tiresome, and the music is a bit 'chocolate box'. I'm happy with Radio 3 (except when it gets avant guarde) and my CDs - working through J S Bach's cantatas at the moment, which is close to musical heaven for me.

You'll presumably be writing up Turaco III's cruise to Addis Ababa, Graham? A wrong turning? Only joking. One of my favourite Dad's Army episodes is where they acquire a rowing boat and end up in France, except they don't.

Lara

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2015, 11:48 »
It's Barclays, so not that much more upmarket than Wonga.

Thanks Graham, nice to know where we stand in the scheme of poshness!   ;D