Author Topic: Spain!  (Read 4474 times)

Carol Lawson

Spain!
« on: 20 Aug 2016, 08:38 »
Hi!
We have just returned from a trip to the Costa Dorada, with our BC26! We stayed at a marina in Sant Carles de la Rapita. Towed the boat v the tunnel without mishap and had a super time there! Vast lagoon next to the marina and we also sailed down the coast to other harbours. Possibilities for so much more! Good wind every day, only one day was it a little too strong to go out, a great town with blue flag beaches, a pool in the marina and the sea was 28 degrees!!! Also great area for cycling! The only slight problem was the mosquitos but luckily they didn't find me very tasty! Have now taken Iris to Hamble Point - any advice for sailing around the area would be welcome!!
Carol & Alistair
BC26-003 Iris

Peter Taylor

Re: Spain!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2016, 16:25 »
Have now taken Iris to Hamble Point - any advice for sailing around the area would be welcome!!
Carol & Alistair

Hi Carol & Alistair,

Of course there is lots of information available about sailing in the Solent - and I don't know how well you know the area already.  I have tried to compile some helpful guidance on the Calshot NCI web site - http://nci.org.uk/calshot - look at the topics from Local Marine Information to Solent weather in the left hand menu. I particularly recommend the "Solent Hazards" book (see the "Local Marine Information" page on the Calshot web site). The title is a bit off-putting but it's a good guide to where you can get close in to the shore and where it's best to stay away!

Feel free to call "Calshot NCI" on channel 65 for a radio check as often as you want - unlike the CG we are not inundated with calls!

Happy sailing! Peter

p.s. don't underestimate how rough it can get at places like off Gurnard if the wind is against the tide - I did at first!
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

SteveWD

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2016, 09:41 »
Hi Carol and Alistair

There are even worse poor weather hazards - try getting an evening seat in "On The Rocks" or any other decent eating house in Yarmouth on a Bank Holiday evening when everyone's weathered in.

Steve

SteveWD

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2016, 18:01 »
The mile of so round the tip of Selsey Bill is also to be treated with respect even at slack water as we found out last July while returning to Gosport from Littlehampton under engine with 25kn apparent on the nose after a stronger blow the night before. Very bumpy indeed! But and bearing away with one reef only a cable or so after the Bill was a different world - fast and (relatively) smooth.

Steve
BC26-006 Samba