Author Topic: 'Winterising' a BRE  (Read 4220 times)

charliea

'Winterising' a BRE
« on: 11 Oct 2016, 21:19 »
Is that a word?

I think we've probably just returned from our last weekend sail this year and I'm wondering if there's anything I should do to prepare the boat for storage.

It'll be stored on the trailer in the back garden with the cover on.  I'm planning to store the sails indoors and the  outboard manual describes what I need to do before putting it away so I should be ok with that.

I'm also planning to grease the trailer wherever I can find a grease point.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or maintenance tips before I throw a cover over the boat and wait til spring?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Charlie

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: 'Winterising' a BRE
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2016, 22:55 »
Sounds like you've got it covered and I don't think there's much required for "winterising" beyond giving the boat a clean and keeping it covered. I service the trailer bearings/brakes and keep the trailer on axle stands to keep the weight off the bearings/tyres given that they won't be rolling for months.

My only tip is to ensure no rags and straps are left in contact with the boat over the winter. I've found a couple of times that straps left on that I thought were clean must have actually contained some salt residues that, after a few months' contact, caused some corrosion on whatever metal they were touching.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2016, 10:36 »
Some points I consider for my BC23, though I generally sail through the winter.

If you have cushions/soft furnishings in the cabin, take them indoors to somewhere dry and warmish, they soak up moisture and hence mould very easily, if that's not possible try and make use of a dehumidfier in the saloon.

If possible make sure you can get ventilation through the saloon and prop open hatches inside to let air circulate.

Make sure your ballast tank(s) are empty and as dry as you can get them to prevent any possible ice damage, leave the bung out. Same for interior domestic water tank. (Not sure if the BRe has one?).

Make sure cockpit and anchor locker drain, deck drain sumps are all clear of leaves and gunk so they drain freely. Check this regularly, else ice can form and cause damage.

Go over any exposed electrics and spray/wipe over with WD40 or similar - not forgetting the vhf aerial/wind/nav lights at the top of the mast if you have them.

Make sure the tension is taken off the centre board uphaul..  I can lower mine so it rests on a trailer roller. Same for the rudder.

Dig the anchor and chain out and give it a good clean off of mud and salt to fend off any possible corrosion to the galvanised bits.

Same for mooring lines/running rigging/sheets, wash them - if you can get away with it, stick them inside a pillow case and chuck the whole lot inside a washing machine. (Not the anchor/chain though, that generally doesn't go down well).

Disconnect, or better still remove any batteries and keep them on a float charge if you can, vaseline on the terminals.

Try and make sure you check her over as much as possible during the winter months...

Hope this helps..

charliea

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2016, 20:09 »
Gentlemen

Thank you both for your advice, I'll get busy this weekend.

Charlie