Author Topic: Clunking Keels  (Read 3643 times)

AndrewV

Clunking Keels
« on: 10 May 2017, 22:16 »
A question from a new owner. We have just taken ownership of BC23 No. 41 Sanderling. we have just been for a couple of shake down sails and were a bit alarmed by the clunking coming from the keel when it is down in light airs and disturbed sea. We are on the North Sea.
Is there any fix owners have come up with that reduces the keel movement when crossing disturbed sea?
We are still find the ways to set the boat up but are very pleased with her so far

mark1

Re: Clunking Keels
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2017, 09:06 »
hi,
I asked exactly the same question when I got my bayraider expedition.
the amount of play in both centreboard and rudder doesn't fit with the build quality of the rest of the boat. so I assumed it must be for a reason.
A friend of mine was regularly having to go snorkelling to free his swing keel after it jammed with stones (not a swallow yacht). I wondered if the amount of play in the centreboard was to stop this happening, although I haven't been able to confirm this I've left mine as it is for now.
Look for some earlier threads on this topic, I think some people have put shims in to reduce the movement.

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2017, 11:38 »
Hello Andrew.

I too have a BC23 (Equinox, No. 25).
You're quite right about the clunking centreboard - mine does as well. I don't think there is anything to worry about although I agree that initially it does sound alarming. But as you say it's only when the boat is bouncing about with little or no wind, as soon as she gets going then all is fine.
I think this is quite a common thing with any centre boarder.

Regret I do not have any advice on how to deal with this - as Mark says on BR's some people have put in shims in the rudder stocks to reduce 'play' but I'm not sure about the centre board case, I used to own a BR myself.
I can't  imagine it being very easy to put in any shims in the BC23 centreboard casing - maybe try taking the table top off so you can see what the centreboard is actually doing when it's clunking about and then you may be better to consider a solution? If you do - I think we'd all be pleased to know!
Maybe bring it up with Matt?
Having said that (so far) I've not had any problems with anything jamming in the c/b case - perhaps some kind of gasket - as used on racing dinghy's - around the centre board slot may reduce the centre board movement.

Whereabouts on the North Sea are you?  I sail out of Gibralter Point - cruising mostly around The Wash and around the Humber (having a two day cruise up to the Humber Cruising Association marina this weekend - or maybe to Blakeney Quay..).
If you are anywhere near would be great to arrange some kind of meeting up..?

I've had my BC23 for nearly three years now and happy to share what limited advice/experience I have with you.

Andy Dingle
BC23 Equinox

AndrewV

« Reply #3 on: 05 Nov 2017, 14:19 »
Hello again and sorry for the delay but I had a little accident in june and ended up care of the Hull neurosurgeons, now back to normal and starting to play with the boat again.
I am based in Scarborough. Wondering about trying to organise a meet for any swallows in the area next year.
Need to sus out the local beaches properly first, and missed the planned opportunities this summer due to my silliness.

mrcjackson

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2017, 20:28 »
I've had the same problem with my BC23 which I bought earlier this year. I imagined it was probably the keel slightly lifting in rough water and the coming to rest against what I imagine is some kind of "stop" somewhere in the keel well. It occurred to me that if I lifted the keel a fraction the rope holding it would prevent it coming to rest on the "stop". This did seem to fix the clunking!

I sent Matt an email around the time of the Soton boat show and I had a reply from Lara saying Matt knew of the problem and said it had been fixed but didn't say how.

mainecoast

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2017, 00:43 »
I'd be curious to know the fix.

Happens on Corvus with all the slop and wakes of Casco Bay. 

I've thought to pad, but if there is a better fix, I'm game to hear it!

Pete
s/v Corvus
BC23 Hull 37