Author Topic: Q: How to rig Asymmetric Spinnaker on a BRe?  (Read 23028 times)

Sea Simon

[quote Ideal. Please keep me informed, and add me as very interested.
Thanks.[/quote]

Change of mind on this Top Down Furling for assym spinni.
Have decided not to fit any TDF, primarily due to potential for interference with wind flow, and hence set of jib when going to windward. (see info in johnguy post, and PT's comments about "loose" furling - above. Thanks fellas!).
Seems pointless to furl and then drop, with such a small sail. We will keep the assym for "racing".
But also because the assym sail will very probably only be used with an experienced crew, not when wife on-board, just "cruising". She likes the "look", but not the work/hassle!

However, I think I will splash out on a Mk2 BRe assym; am advised that this sail-shape/improved cut will get us more directly down wind, and faster.
As we race against symmetrical boats at Fowey this really matters to us. Can also only help at any Raid I may eventually manage to attend!

My recently purchased MK1 Assym (ex BR) will very probably be up for sale shortly, if anyone is interested? It is in excellent condition, no repairs, green/white "stripes".

See other post today re Jib Stick.
We have found this past summer, that it is usually enough for us to use 3 cream sails when "cruising" down wind, our leeward passages are rarely long enough to justify worry/hassle of using the assim.
The jib stick is a reasonable compromise for us, and is very versatile.

I enjoy fishing too, when on passage...but that is not possible, for several reasons, when under assym!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.