Author Topic: A foiling Swallow?  (Read 2982 times)

Tony

A foiling Swallow?
« on: 16 Jun 2019, 20:35 »
While idly leafing through the Financial Times "How to Spend it, boating edition", ( as yer do...) I came across an article by Matthew Sheahan entitled "Foiling in the Deep" . Starting, predictably, with Gitana 17 - twelve million quids worth of ocean racing single hander - though £7,000,000 cruising cats, he ends up with the positively reasonably priced Beneteau Figaro 3. This €260,000 (gulp!) offering is a monohull using foils to reduce leeway,  make water ballast unnecessary and reduce heel. It also makes the thing go bloody fast!  (Just click on the link below.) This led me to two trains of thought. 1. Is it possible to rob a bank without getting a job in the City first?  2. I wonder if I could retro-fit foils onto "Four Sisters"? 
A moments thought ruled out both.
However, the man who re-engineered the motor/sailer concept with the Coast 250 might have ideas around a BRex with retractable foils or, perhaps a foiling BayCruiser?  Cruising at 20+knots has its attractions - a channel crossing in a couple of hours  without using a drop of Go-juice, anyone?
After all , whatever Beneteau can do, Matt CAN do better!

https://youtu.be/0XYLVVkUp6M

Sea Simon

Re: A foiling Swallow? Bankers!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2019, 14:14 »
"..... Is it possible to rob a bank without getting a job in the City first? "

Not if you want to get away with robbing your bank, get a Government bail out, then continue with "business as usual" ,  It's not! ;)

Oh, and don't forget your share holders are there to be robbed too!  >:(
I (and many others)  lost a significant sum of money due to some very senior people being caught "with their hand in the till". They still have their jobs!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Tony

Re: A foiling Swallow?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2019, 13:33 »
Hi, Simon.
 I'll see  your "Two Sisters" and raise you two more to "FourSisters", and, in an unfortunate parallel, I'll escalate the loss of your cash (you and me both!) with whole families in my area being thrown out of work with little prospect of employment in the future. Welcome to Food Bank Britain!
Meanwhile, while the country tries to sort itself and its so-called leaders out, do those lucky enough to have a little spare cash for a new, fast cruising, small boat have any interest in a foiling Bayraider/BayCruiser?
 I see little on the market at the moment between the International Moth (https://youtu.be/z2sT8hLoTmQ) and the aforementioned Beneteau.  (https://youtu.be/jyPJ3GuDH2U)
With modern materials and construction techniques (and a good naval architect on the job) I see no reason why a foiling BayCruiser should cost much more than the standard model. Retractable foils might eat into the headroom in the cabin a little but think of the advantages!
Cross channel cruising at 15 - 20 knots, outrunning bad weather, daysailing further than ever up the coast - and back in time for "Killing Eve".

https://www.yachtingworld.com/special-reports/the-foiling-phenomenon-66269

Sea Simon

Re: A foiling Swallow?
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2019, 14:33 »
Too many sisters? ????

(or, in my case, daughters!)

Otherwise I might be in a position to order one of these new foilers?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.