Author Topic: 8HP outboard on BC23  (Read 10021 times)

Martijn

Re: 8HP outboard on BC23
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2020, 15:18 »
Hi Paul,

This is the conversion kit I purchased:
https://www.allesmarine.nl/en/yamaha-electric-starter-kit-f8f-ft8g-f99j-ft99l-6d.html

After installation (appr. 2 hours work, practical English manual is included) if found that my engine lacked a rectifier for charging the battery.
If you want this feature too then you'll need this additional purchase: https://www.allesmarine.nl/en/yamaha-f6-f8-f99-t8-99-rectifier-regulator-assy-68.html

Note this is a second hand one, a new one costs appr. 200 euro.
The rectifier charges my battery with 1.7A when idling and appr. 5 aps at one third throttle.
Max charging current is 6 A.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martin Bevan

« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2020, 17:53 »
I eventually took delivery of my BC23 in late August and due to medical issues I was only able to sail it twice before having to put it into store for the winter. I have a Yamaha 9.9 fitted and it has the charging rectifier but, as yet, no electric start - that looks very interesting. My limited experience with the motor says that:
It fits without issues. I am not sure if Matt altered things to achieve that.
It starts easily - but there again it is new.
It is very smooth and quiet.
It produces a good performance at half throttle.
It is of course heavy and getting it out will require some thought.

I hope that helps.

Martin
Caduceus IV BC23 #65

Martijn

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2020, 16:43 »
I hope you get to fully enjoy her next year, I'm sure she will treat you well. 8)
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Baycruiser23

« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2020, 15:49 »
I think I just need to lower the motor by about 15mm to allow the fins of the outboard assembly to clear the flanges of the hull - A winter workshop job!
We went for the Honda for its very quiet operation and its the only one which is factory fitted with the starter motor. Silver colour is also a pleasant change to black!!

Martijn

« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2020, 16:07 »
Honda's have a reputation for being quiet, good choice. :)

The Yamaha F9.9JES also comes with a factory fitted electric starter by the way.
I think the F9.9 engine is identical to the F8, where the latter is restricted to produce only 8HP.
Unfortunately the F8 does not come with an factory fitted electric starter afaik, which is strange since it is the same engine and equally easy/difficult to start.

BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"