Author Topic: 8HP outboard on BC23  (Read 10018 times)

Martijn

8HP outboard on BC23
« on: 28 Aug 2019, 18:55 »
I'm considering upgrading my 6hp 4stroke outboard to 2 cylinder 8hp, also a 4 stroke. Not that the current engine is lacking power but rather to reduce the engine noise to a level allowing communication.

Does anyone know which 8hp 4 stroke engines fit the engine well without modification? I've emailed Swallow Yachts twice but failed to get a reply. :-\
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Rob Johnstone

Re: 8HP outboard on BC23
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2019, 21:57 »
Hi Martyn,

The Mercury 8Hp (twin) has been successfully fitted to a couple of BC 23's - certainly the boat produced immediately before Vagabond (so hull no 9) had one (2012 version) fitted when new.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Martin Bevan

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2019, 09:23 »
I cannot help with an input on the question of engines but will be interested to see the discussion as we have to specify an engine for our BC23 due for delivery April 20.  Swallow are currently quoting a Yamaha 6hp and a 9.9hp engine as options but with the proviso that some adjustment may be required for the larger engine if you are supplying it yourself. My experience with Yamaha engines, albeit 2 stroke, is that the twin cylinder engines are much easier to live with.

In respect of unanswered emails, both Matt and Lara were away on holiday for two weeks coming back after the bank holiday.

Martin

Lara

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:02 »
I've emailed Swallow Yachts twice but failed to get a reply. :-\

Hello Martjin

I'm sorry you haven't had a response from us - I haven't seen anything come from you directly or via the website, but we have had an unprecedented amount of spam coming into our contact centre through the website recently so perhaps it has been caught up in one of the filters?  Whatever the situation I apologise you haven't heard back from us and if you would like to contact us directly you are very welcome to do so at admin@swallowyachts.com

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:11 »
Hi Martyn,

The Mercury 8Hp (twin) has been successfully fitted to a couple of BC 23's - certainly the boat produced immediately before Vagabond (so hull no 9) had one (2012 version) fitted when new.
Thanks Rob, appreciate your answer.
I'm contemplating a Suzuki, and since I believe Suzuki, Mercury and Tohatsu are basically the same engines I think these will fit as well.

Haven't been onboard Riffraff for the last 4 weeks due to family holidays but I will return next weekend and looking forward to it. The next weekend I have planned another trip at sea with my brother, whom you've met ;)
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martijn

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:22 »
Swallow are currently quoting a Yamaha 6hp and a 9.9hp engine as options but with the proviso that some adjustment may be required for the larger engine if you are supplying it yourself.
Caduceus,

Thanks for your reply.
I currently have a 6hp engine which is more than adequate in getting the boat to hull speed. As I said the main reason for the more powerful engine is to reduce the noise. it will not make the boat go faster through the water than the theoretical hull speed, regardless of any currents. But it will help you to overcome additional resistance caused by waves and wind. For that 8hp should be more than sufficient.
Any reason as to why you want the 9.9 hp?
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:23 »

Hello Martjin

I'm sorry you haven't had a response from us - I haven't seen anything come from you directly or via the website, but we have had an unprecedented amount of spam coming into our contact centre through the website recently so perhaps it has been caught up in one of the filters?  Whatever the situation I apologise you haven't heard back from us and if you would like to contact us directly you are very welcome to do so at admin@swallowyachts.com
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martijn

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:27 »

Hello Martjin

Thanks Lara,

I wondered what happened. I've sent 2 emails directly to your email account regarding this topic. I've sent another 2 mails to info@ and Paul@ regarding the Rudder recall but only received an out of office reply.

I have just send another 2. Hopefully you will receive those.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martin Bevan

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2019, 13:56 »
Swallow are currently quoting a Yamaha 6hp and a 9.9hp engine as options but with the proviso that some adjustment may be required for the larger engine if you are supplying it yourself.
Caduceus,

Thanks for your reply.
I currently have a 6hp engine which is more than adequate in getting the boat to hull speed. As I said the main reason for the more powerful engine is to reduce the noise. it will not make the boat go faster through the water than the theoretical hull speed, regardless of any currents. But it will help you to overcome additional resistance caused by waves and wind. For that 8hp should be more than sufficient.
Any reason as to why you want the 9.9 hp?

9.9 - only because that is what is being offered as an option to 6hp.  Yamaha do both an 8 and the 9.9 which appear very similar, just differing in power and price but similar dimensions.

Al Beckhelling

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2019, 20:21 »
Hi Martijn. See your original post was late Aug, so you've probably acquired a new engine by now. If you haven't, let me know & i can share my knowledge, having put a 9.9hp on my 23.

Martijn

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2019, 08:01 »
Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't purchased one yet as like took over - in the form of a new trailer ;)
I'm still having doubts as my current engine is quite noisy but is about half the weight of a 8HP engine (or 9.9HP for that matter as most 8HP engines are tuned down versions of the 9.9 HP ones).

I'm currently trying to decide between:
1. Sound-proofing the engine cover as I don't need the extra horse power. In addition to the lower weight of the engine this would of course also be -a lot- cheaper. It would make for a nice winter project/experiment.
2. A new 2-cyl 4 stroke 8 HP engine. Currently I'm running a Suzuki and a very pleased with it. It never failed me and is very reliable.

I'm curious as to what engine you have and what your experiences are with it. Also how well it fits in the engine well. Are any adjustments required to make it fit?
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martin Bevan

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2019, 15:16 »
Hi Al,

I would also be interested to hear your experience with a 9.9 in a BC23. I have specified a 9.9 for our BC23, due April/May 2020, but am open to suggestions. Lowering the noise level was a consideration plus my good experience with a twin cylinder Yamaha 2 stroke over many years.

Baycruiser23

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2020, 18:19 »
Hi Martijn,
Noticed you were interested in this and we have a Honda 9.8hp with electric start.(Launched 2020).
The electric start is great and allows fast action by either my wife or me in the rather tight constraints of the Beaulieu river, and the engine much quieter. Space is tight and when we lift out this winter, along with guidance from Matt, I think we will be making a few adjustments to allow it to fit slightly better. Thanks very much for your help on the tent - much appreciated!

Martijn

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2020, 19:45 »
Hi Chris,

Funny you mention this.
I upgraded to a 2 cylinder Yamaha 8HP this spring, and it is indeed much quieter than the previous 1 cyl. 6HP  engine. No regrets there whatsoever.
The downside is that both my wife and daughter were struggling to get the engine started.
So I purchased an OEM upgrade kit to convert it to an electric start model which I installed last weekend. It now is a pleasure to start the engine. :)
Initially I was also interested in the Honda 8HP, but I think it was not only heavier than the Yamaha but also larger.
The Yamaha fits very well (no pun intended ::)) and I can still rotate the engine 10 or 15 degrees both ways to allow steering.
In what way does your Honda not fit?
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Paul vR

« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2020, 12:51 »
Hi Martijn,

Thanks for sharing. I have the Yamaha 8HP outboard as well on my BC23 and it works really well. I'm interested to find out more about the retrofit of an electric starter. Could you please give me some more details (e.g. brand, type, web-link)? Thanks!
BC23 #39 "Aderyn"