Author Topic: BR20 questions regarding versatility of gunter/gaff rig  (Read 22682 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BR20 questions regarding versatility of gunter/gaff rig
« Reply #30 on: 11 May 2020, 22:49 »
All these clever improvements!  I never thought that we gunter-rigged old timers were going to end up with classic boats.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BR20 questions regarding versatility of gunter/gaff rig
« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2020, 18:02 »
The code 0 was an excellent sail I thought on my last boat and many an outing was improved when light winds not strong enough to get her going, the continuous line came down to around the oarlock area  and I then had shock cord attached which I wrapped around the aft starboard cleat, this helped keep the line taut and out of the way.

I have just spotted your continious furler line arrangement, bring both lines down the starboard side and keep taut with shock cord, the lines don't come into the cockpit then. The shock cord has a block on the end which the line went through.

Sorted!  The furler line is no longer in the way in the cockpit and can now be dismantled without undoing the mast.  This arrangement can also be used to set my flying jib at the front, although because the UV sacrificial strip is on the opposite side to that of the code zero, I have to remember to furl in the other direction.

I may yet get rid of the second and third set of guides (counting from the front).  I was concerned that the furler would get in the way of the self tacking jib sheets but it seems to be fine.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III