Author Topic: Tiller tamer vs Autohelm  (Read 4041 times)

Baycruiser23

Tiller tamer vs Autohelm
« on: 04 Jul 2020, 11:22 »
Very much enjoying our new BC23 on the Beaulieu River / Solent. Needing to do mainly solo sailing so I would really appreciate some steerage on which of the two options is better and also if a tiller tamer - whether it is better to place on top or underneath the tiller? Due to river use with cross currents / winds and other craft I think the autohelm is the way forwards as it will correct drift and changes in direction when moving around the boat.. but this may be overkill? Thanks for the feedback, Chris

JGBaynton

Re: Tiller tamer vs Autohelm
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2020, 13:26 »
I use an autohelm which I bought with the boat. I find it really useful for holding the boat steady into wind to raise the main and other little tasks. If the wind moves off the nose it is also dead easy to go +/- 10 degrees or more at the push of a button. I've attached a picture of mine in action with a top fitting.
Just as a matter of interest where do you / did you launch on the Beaulieu river?
Jonathan Baynton
BC23 KESTREL

JGBaynton

« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2020, 13:27 »
Sorry the picture is upside down! I can never get photos to post the right way up!!
Jonathan Baynton
BC23 KESTREL

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2020, 14:10 »
Sorry the picture is upside down! I can never get photos to post the right way up!!

I think that it’s an oddity of the software as it seems to happen quite a lot.  The full photo is the right way up on my iPad. 

An excellent installation in terms of being tucked out of the way but given how close to the pintle it is, does it struggle to move the tiller against weather helm?

Back in the previous century I used to sail solo out of Dover in a 20’ Norfolk Gypsy.  The Autohelm 1000 was a very useful piece of kit which communicated with the wind indicator and fluxgate compass, all of which came with the boat when I bought it.  When I needed to raise or lower the main, I would put the Yanmar on gently ahead and program the Autohelm to keep the boat head to wind.  It was also useful for holding a course, either magnetic (usually with the engine on) or relative to the wind when sailing but I was careful about battery drain.  Mine was secured to the underneath of the tiller, quite a long way forward.

BC23’s with a mizzen seem to be a rarity but if Chris’s has one, then weathercocking into the wind can be achieved with a tiller tamer just as well as with an Autohelm, and without using the engine.  If you get the sail balance right a well-elasticated tamer can also help keep the boat more or less on the same course relative to the wind, at least on some upwind angles.  Here's a thread on tiller tamers and self steering from 2010-12, when BC23's were new on the scene and the world revolved around BR's https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,317.0.html. And a library article from the same era https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=577.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

JGBaynton

« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2020, 17:09 »
It is an Autohelm 2000. It has not yet struggled to do its job against any weather helm but admittedly I have not used it under any very arduous conditions. Unfortunately I did not go for the wind option but it will hold a heading nicely using its own compass.
My old Drascombe Coaster with a mizzen certainly made sitting head to wind very easy! But then it is another sail to rig and de-rig each time I launch it.
Jonathan Baynton
BC23 KESTREL

Sea Simon

« Reply #5 on: 05 Jul 2020, 19:43 »
FWIW...

On cheap android tablet, small "preview" pic is upsidedown.
Click thru, and big pic is right way up.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Baycruiser23

« Reply #6 on: 05 Jul 2020, 21:00 »
Many thanks for the rapid feedback. Raymarine tiller pilot on offer for 370.00 which seems a good price! Simrad also on offer at 380.00.
We have std rig on our BC23 and based at Bucklers Hard marina, along with 2xBC and 1xBR which has just arrived. Will have a chat with Matt ref retro fit and your installation looks very tidy and out of the way. It’s exactly and helping pair of auto helm hands that I need!! Bws Chris

BertPanman

« Reply #7 on: 06 Sep 2020, 15:04 »
My BC23 Zwaluw is fitted with an Autohelm 1000. I can’t get it to work while motoring (Yamaha 6HP)
The course is erratic as it seems to be impacted by the magnetic field of the engine.
Contact with Raymarine in The Netherlands learned that there is no real solution to this problem and suggest t70153 1
Evolution EV-100 Tillerpack: ACU-100 helmstokautomaat cpl met p70s, EV-1, Q047 helmstokdrive en kabelset R70160
€1.495,00

EV-100 tiller > https://www.raymarine.nl/view/index-id=7679.html
Anybody with comments/suggestions?

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: 07 Sep 2020, 17:09 »
Welcome Bert!

I haven't tried my Autohelm while motoring, I've only used my tiller tamer, which is brilliant.
The Autohelm I've only used twice under sail and seems to work flawlessly.

Is your outboard fitted with a charging coil / rectifier? This seems to cause jamming of the electromagnetic field. Moving the autohelm further away from the engine (if possible) could fix this.
Another solution worth trying would be to perform the calibration mode as described in the Autohelm manual if you haven't done so yet.

Next time when I'm onboard I'll try if the outboard interferes with the Autohelm and let you know.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

BertPanman

« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2020, 09:30 »
Thanks Martijn, I have no charging coil. Calibration while motoring was not successful for the same reason (erratic behavior).
We tried to connect a second-have a second-hand ST60 fluxgate from a more remote position, but that did not work and according to Raymarine in The Netherlands it will not work. So I will explore further the EV100 option as suggested by Raymarine. I will let you know and I am interested in your experience with the ST1000 while motoring.
Ps there is nothing wrong with the ST1000; Matt was so kind to send me another new one to test

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2020, 12:36 »
Bert,

Back in the olden days, connecting a remote fluxgate to the Raymarine ST1000 used to work but I think they have now miniaturised the compass and incorporated it into the tiller pilot.  Someone suggested connecting a remote fluxgate and then disconnecting the ribbon cable into the internal fluxgate.  That may be an experiment too far!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III