Author Topic: Cockpit tent for BC23  (Read 8138 times)

Baycruiser23

Cockpit tent for BC23
« on: 21 Oct 2020, 13:12 »
Enjoying excellent autumn sailing but thinking about the chillier nights ahead I would be grateful of feedback on the best design of cockpit tent for the BC23? We have bought a second hand “tent” to try the idea out and it does make an incredible difference to overall accommodation and heating but is a very bad design to see on the water! Any ideas would be welcome on possible suppliers and photos. Many thanks Chris

Martijn

Re: Cockpit tent for BC23
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2020, 14:15 »
I use this one which is absolutely brilliant. It's easy to setup (about 5 to 10 minutes) and has plenty of room.
The side flaps have zippers and can either be removed or rolled up.
The back can be opened up but not removed.

I do not know the manufacturer from the top of my head (can have a look if you want) or what the price was as it came with the boat when I purchased it.
Perhaps Rob - the previous owner- has more details.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Baycruiser23

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2020, 14:40 »
Many thanks Marijn, fit looks excellent. When you have the time to let me know the makers name that will be great. Ideally I am looking for a totally removable tent without the fixed steel supports which I think you have? ... but that may be too optimistic!

Martijn

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2020, 15:00 »
Hi Chris,

See the image below for the makers name and phone.
The steel support is removeable and comes apart, so the whole assembly easily fits into the port/starboard lockers when not in use.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2020, 15:05 »
From what I can tell it was ordered around May 2018 by Rob Johnstone.
Maybe they can use that to trace back the original order.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Baycruiser23

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2020, 18:11 »
Excellent thank you... I will give them a buzz...

Baycruiser23

Re: Cockpit tent for BC23 = Baycruiser 23 in Poole?
« Reply #6 on: 07 Nov 2020, 17:56 »
Would anyone in Poole with a Baycruiser 23 be able to let Quay Sails visit and measure up for a cockpit cover please? This would save a huge “Visit” cost and would be much appreciated!!
Many thanks Chris

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #7 on: 07 Nov 2020, 18:31 »
Chris  is it a tent or  cover that you need.?
If a tent, the people in Poole should have the details of the one they made for Riff Raff in 2017.
 If it's a cockpit cover you need, Rain and Sun in Southampton have the measurements and have made at least three of them. They made the cover for Riff Raff. For photos of cover and tent look at the early posts in my blog RiffRaff-at-sea.
Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Baycruiser23

« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2020, 19:54 »
Hi Rob
It’s the tent we are after, but sadly Quay Sails do not have any info on remaining on file.
Martijn seems very pleased with the tent and assembly time sounds great. I will forward Martijn’s photos to them to see if it can shortcut things! Thanks for response and will look up your blog with thanks.

Martijn

« Reply #9 on: 09 Nov 2020, 07:26 »
Hi Chris,

If you want me to take some measurements of the tent feel free to let me know
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Baycruiser23

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2020, 18:55 »
Thanks all for the feedback - really helpful! Martijn would you mind sending more photos of the interior / exterior and any feedback to improve the design (if any!). Looks excellent and if i can avoid the addition of the wood side plate that will be a bonus! Bws Chris

Martijn

« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2020, 09:05 »
Chris,

I'll be at the boat today and tomorrow. Is there anything in particular you want me to photograph?
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2020, 16:17 »
I am sure you can avoid the lare wooden block on each side. I fitted it because I wasn't given any fitting dimensions by the original suppliers and I didn't want to punch several holes in the side of the boat whilst I found the right place! With the wood fixed in place I was able to jiggle the frame about until it seemed right and then drill the holes for the securing screws.

Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Martijn

« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2020, 16:47 »
Well guess what I've been doing this afternoon? 8)
There was substantial gelcoat damage on starboard side.
I've just repaired the holes and put new gelcoat on both sides, tomorrow is reveal day, I'm hoping there are no pinch holes so I can sand and polish the repairs and refit the tent.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martijn

« Reply #14 on: 04 Dec 2020, 12:07 »
Chris See the images below from the cockpit tent.
Sitting headroom is 1.12 meters, standing headroom 1.55 meters.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"