Author Topic: Sail combinations on ketch/yawl  (Read 33740 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Sail combinations on ketch/yawl
« Reply #30 on: 01 Jul 2011, 17:49 »

I wonder if the point for attaching the trailer winch to would be ok to try that.

I am using that eye for tensioning the bobstay on my extended jib boom/bowsprit - no problems so far.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tony

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2011, 19:38 »
quotes from David:-

1/ I also tried a simple but cheap self steering sytem by running a line from the aft cleat to the rollock on each side then a line to the tiller with a loop of shock cord on.

2/ When I have got concerned is motoring in dead calm water and one of those cruisers goes by creating a wake big enough to surf on and the boat rolls substantially.

Hi,David.
You and I seem to have hit on the same trick. Below is a photo shopped pic of my tiller brake. It is simply a length of 6mm shock cord with a loop at each end fitted over my aft mooring cleats.
When not in use it isn’t in the way at all. (Red)
To put into action just loop it over the tiller. (Blue)
One loop holds the tiller quite firmly, making it self-centring but allowing it to slide easily into a new fixed position for self steering. It has enough stretch available to put the tiller hard over for tacking with the shock cord in place.
A second loop holds the tiller with a grip of steel, ideal when rowing singlehanded or for heaving to, when rearward drift would otherwise flip the tiller over.
As for powerboat wash, words fail me!
With one powerboat you can usually steer into the tsunami and live to tell the tale. Last summer I was caught between a pair of idiots and Lakka harbour entrance, Paxos.  I was motoring in a steep head sea, following a local fishing boat, close into the rocks (which normally frightens the Gin Palaces further off shore). On this occasion the two skippers were having a bit of a race (I picked up as much on the VHF) and one, unbelievably arrogant, stupid or both, decided to gain an advantage by cutting between Four Sisters and the shore at full throttle, a gap of no more than 50 feet, probably less.  We were trapped between two mountains of wash with no chance of turning the bow into anything and so it was only luck and the CBLs natural qualities that prevented us being swamped. The fishing boat wasn’t so lucky and took on a lot of water and lost some gear. I’m sorry to say that both power boats were flying the red duster. They got off lightly as the fisherman involved the harbour police rather than adopting the more typically Greek direct approach with a pick handle.
This sort of thing must happen every day in the Solent or Poole harbour, I should imagine, but I’ve rarely heard of any prosecutions. As a fan of Kirsty MacColl, I have strong views on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsty_MacColl#Death

Julian Swindell

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2011, 21:08 »
There are lots of powerboats going in and out of Poole. Most are very good, but there are exceptions. The Habour Master does chase them down if they are speeding (max speed 10kts in the harbour) and you will hear other boats reporting them over the vhf. But the real dangers I'm afaid are people in big sailing yachts who really don't know the rules and often simply don't watch what's happening.
The other thing that catches you is not one big wash from a single boat, but two or even three from seperate boats coinciding and generating really sudden pyramidal waves. Very scary as it happens without warning, although you do develop a feeling for situtations you don't want to get into.
The other problem is the Royal Marines. They are based in the harbour and they don't slow down for anyone. You've just got to get out of their way.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/