Author Topic: First BR20 to NZ  (Read 8765 times)

Andrew Denman

First BR20 to NZ
« on: 02 Feb 2012, 06:18 »
Hi all,

Swallow Boats are slowly invading every corner of the earth and the latest one built in Australia is now in New Zealand, based out of Rotorua.
A pic below and some footage of her sailing is here http://youtu.be/V1mAI6q3OXw

Colin Lawson

Re: First BR20 to NZ
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2012, 13:13 »
Brilliant boat and video Andrew. It would be good if your next one showed the bowsprit in action.

Colin
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

Tony

Re: First BR20 to NZ
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2012, 13:07 »
Hi, Andrew.

Agreed. Very good video(What camera are you using? Does well on a stick!)and a beautifully finish boat, of course.
I ve been experimenting with plank bowsprits on my CBL for months in an attempt to get the jib flying with the balanced lug sail.  It gives an extra knot or two in light winds and the boat points higher  but it’s in the way and a pain in the proverbial  for the rest of the time.  You have a very neat looking solution which I would perhaps like to steal.
Any chance of a close-up (or better still, and pushing my luck just a little more than I should,  a plan drawing) of the bowsprit, especially showing details of how it’s fixed to stem and fore deck?  (That’s the bit I can’t get right without major surgery to the CBL !)
 Is the water stay  a vital part of the geometry or could it work without, if using a beefy plank, do you think?