Author Topic: Boat Trim and Tiller Tamers  (Read 9942 times)

Peter Cockerton

Boat Trim and Tiller Tamers
« on: 13 Jul 2012, 22:43 »
Recently installed the tiller tamer so when sailing single handed i can perform the usual tasks on the mast etc. When i have experienced the problems i' sailing with jib,main and mizzen with no reefs. Boat trimmed to a point where i have slight weather helm.
I lock the tamer up, move forward and with a short space of time the boat luffs up into the wind. I have tried bearing away from my course then locking the tamer with the expectation she will luff up but perhaps point on the course i originally wanted but that doesn't work either. I know i'm 15 stone and moving my weight forward will upset the COE but can i do anything about this so i can work on the mast for a few minutes.
Any advice most welcome

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Llafurio

Re: Boat Trim and Tiller Tamers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2012, 08:18 »
... I lock the tamer up, move forward and with a short space of time the boat luffs up into the wind. I have tried bearing away from my course then locking the tamer with the expectation she will luff up but perhaps point on the course i originally wanted but that doesn't work either. ... can i do anything about this so i can work on the mast for a few minutes. ...

The centreboard is the key to that. Bring up the centreboard to 20 - 30% while you work (board all up being 0%).
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2012, 10:55 »
... I lock the tamer up, move forward and with a short space of time the boat luffs up into the wind. I have tried bearing away from my course then locking the tamer with the expectation she will luff up but perhaps point on the course i originally wanted but that doesn't work either. ... can i do anything about this so i can work on the mast for a few minutes. ...

The centreboard is the key to that. Bring up the centreboard to 20 - 30% while you work (board all up being 0%).

Many thanks for that tip Claus it was getting to be a bit of a game to get her balanced and then moving forward doing what i needed to do quickly and the rushing back to the tiller before she ran amok.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Simon Knight

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2012, 19:53 »
Hi Peter,

You may also find that you can steer the boat by heeling her with your body weight; my Drascombe Coaster was very easy to steer like this but she had very hard chines so she steered by "dropping a rail".  I've not had  a chance to see how my Bay Raider performs yet.

best wishes

Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2012, 09:13 »
In smooth water, I can set up Vagabond (BC23) on a reach (with the centre board fully down) and then change course by moving my weight forward or backward. As soon as the wave height becomes more than a foot or so, the directional stability is less marked
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Colin Morley

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2012, 21:03 »
This is interesting. I have been wondering about a tiller tamer. At the moment i use an adjustable piece of rope, adjusted with sliders like guy rope sliders, from each side. which works quite well.

My question is does anybody have experience with an auto helm on the BR?
Colin
BR James Caird

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2012, 18:19 »
I have added an article on 'Tiller tamers' to the library.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III