Swallow Yachts Forum > Home Builders' Area

Storm 15 - Blanced Lug Rigging

(1/4) > >>

Trevor Burdon:
I am close to finishing my build of the Storm 15 with Balanced lug sai but don't have a copy of that instruction annex. Is anyone able to help, please.

Regards Trevor

Tony:
Not sure what an "Instruction annex" might be, Trevor, but here's a link to a  picture of a Storm 15 with balanced lug built by Andrew Denman in Australia. It may not help but its a nice shot !!

http://www.denmanmarine.com.au/sitebuildercontent/sbsimages/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.denmanmarine.com.au/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/s15launch1051.jpg&target=tlx_picd1kg

Rigging details are reasonably visible. Apparently she sails very well. 
More pictures on this link, below - once you've scrolled past all the flippin' BayRaiders!

http://www.denmanmarine.com.au/id68.html

Trevor Burdon:
Thank you for the photograph links, Tony.

I have now heard back from Andrew directly and know pretty much where everything goes.

FYI the Swallow Boats build instructions come with an introductory overview specific to a boat design supported by many annex(s) that are general across related designs.

Regards

Trevor

Trevor Burdon:
Well I've been delayed a little. I have studied Andrews rigging outline, but am still wondering about:

1. Attachment point for halyard to yard
2. Crossover point of mast and boom
3. Rowlock position

Any thoughts from fellow posters will be very gratefully received.

Swallow must have some defaults for their production builds, and I'm wondering what they are. I have sent an email through to them directly on that Instruction Manual Annex.

Tony:
Hi, Trevor.
Sorry to take so long but this might help.

Photo shows the way Alex Haig rigged the yard on his (now MY..) Deben Lugger hybrid "Wabi".

I use what I considered (note past tense) to be a more sophisticated method on my CBL "Four Sisters", involving parrelbeads, blocks and all sorts of other salty sailorman goodies.
Truth is you don't need 'em on a small boat. The method shown is infinitely adjustable yet stays just where you put it. It's basically a loop of blue pre-stretched stuff (or dynema) wound around the yard about 60% of the way along with the halyard  bent on with a simple bowline.  Looks as if chafe would kill it but in fact it's no problem and has stood up to a couple of gales effortlessly. I might worry if I was planning an Atlantic crossing, as it is I just twiddle it around a bit each time I launch.
The leathering on the yard helps it grip but on a wooden yard it might not be needed.

The 60/40 position on the yard is fairly critical - experiment to get it to work well with your hull/daggerboard profile.
(The loose black bowline shown, looped around the mast and down to the deck) is a brilliantly simple way to hold the yard close to the mast, reefed or otherwise. When released, the yard can be raised or lowered without any risk of it jamming - as parrel beads are prone to do.)

Mast and boom "Crossover point" is absolutely critical. Get it wrong (as I have done before now) and you won't go to windward!
Use the same idea, a  loop of thinnish tough stuff wound around the boom, but use a block to give a 2:1 purchase, lead it to the deck right next to the mast. (This needs to be reinforced to give acceptable luff tension.)  Don't over do it with a more powerful purchase or you'll shove the mast right through the bottom of the boat! Again, the ability to slide the attachment point on the boom back  and forth makes the whole thing easily adjustable to get you pointing as high as possible. Just remember to mark where the "sweet spot" is so you don't end up with it in "running off the wind" mode when you're trying to get up to windward!
(Photos are not too clear - not taken with this in mind!)
Can't help you here. Rowlock position rather depends on where your thwart can go. Don't make that item too narrow - and fix something to brace your feet against - and (most important) get oars long enough to do the job. I thought "Four Sisters" impossible to row until I tried a pair of 12 foot oars on her and went zooming around like a speed boat!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version