Swallow Yachts Forum > Home Builders' Area

Storm 15 - Blanced Lug Rigging

<< < (2/4) > >>

Steve Joyce:
hi Trevor, I bought 8' 6" oars for my Storm 15. which seem to work ok for me.

I spent an hour or so sitting in the boat on the trailer to work out where to put the rowlocks (also dreaming of it being complete and on the water).  I should have someone to throw buckets of water at me to complete the illusion.

Rowing in reality is quite ok but I still need to fit a footrest of some sort and something better to sit on, but on a flat lake without putting too much effort in it is ok.

Those oars don't stow very easily though. I am contemplating cutting out a semi circle on the underside of the cb support so the oar will slide underneath.  failing that I have them each side if the cb with a bungee to hold them together.

Terry Cross:
Storm 15 Rowing & Stowing
Hi Trevor & Steve
I have fitted a removable thwart which slots over the seat on the aft of center board case ( which I also find useful when sailing in light airs or down wind).
We used to stow the oars, as you suggested under the  C B supports but they where not easily accessible.
A removable strut has been fitted across the deck, just aft of the outboard well, protruding about 12” over each gunnel. The oars remain in the rowlocks , rest on the strut  and are held in place with shock cord loops. This has proved to be successful even when the boat is well heeled.

Steve Joyce:
Thanks Terry,  your list of useful modifications keeps growing. These may interest Trevor too.
I should have followed your lead re the electric motor attached to the rudder.  Instead I cut a hole,  and tried a Yamaha 2.5 motor.  Only used it a couple of times and came to the conclusion that it was just too noisy,  and gets in the way when sailing,  so think i will be selling the outboard and plugging up the hole again.

One mod I have made may interest readers.  I found that my mast was continually twisting round which caused wear to the mast against the king plank and step.  My mod is in the picture attached.  Basically a clamp glued to the underside of the king plank to secure the mast.  This could be modified to stop water dripping into bay cruisers.  (the groove on the right is to clear a path for the jib sheet).

Terry Cross:
Thanks Steve
Re. Outboard on rudder
Someone tel. me a couple of weeks a go saying they could not find the post.
It appears to have been deleted from the Forum.
Terry Cross  "IONA"

Graham W:

--- Quote from: Terry Cross on 12 May 2013, 08:53 ---Re. Outboard on rudder
Someone tel. me a couple of weeks a go saying they could not find the post.
It appears to have been deleted from the Forum.

--- End quote ---

It's still there http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,290.0.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version