Swallow Yachts Forum > Sailing and Events

Events - READ THIS FIRST

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jonathan Stuart:
Good point about insurance so I have added that and have also highlighted the "serious" bits.

Peter Cockerton:
Jonathon

Thankfully your reasoning on the raised points has been contained and will only formalise the general understanding of event organisers.

Having as you know organised two Rutland Water get togethers to date i have always been comfortable with the understanding that i have no legal liabilities for participants. Arranging the event, venue, rooms, meals, launch and trailer parking, general sailing information is expected as the organiser.

The ownership of “fellow boaters safety" is always a given but must remain as a non-liability issue against event organisers. Any other understanding would result in contractual disclaimer signing and i for one would not organise another event should this be the case.

Signing on and off the water with records of head counts, records of what equipment is being carried, vhf, flares, life jackets etc. would be sensible, perhaps sailing with a nominated buddy boat could perhaps be adopted, not necessarily by the organiser but a nominated person, but again with no liability attached.

Peter Cockerton

Graham W:

--- Quote from: Peter Cockerton on 26 Jun 2014, 15:09 ---Any other understanding would result in contractual disclaimer signing and i for one would not organise another event should this be the case.

--- End quote ---

Nor me.  Let's keep it as simple as possible, otherwise we won't have events like this in the future.

Jonathan Stuart:
Disclaimers bring a whole raft of problems so we definitely don't want to go there. The rationale for our terms is that the organiser doesn't bear liability such that Peter and Graham, etc, continue to organise events. Hopefully the words I added to the start of this thread also stress the spirit that we hope people will show when organising and/or attending events.

Andy Dingle:

Some very valid points have been raised here, and I do believe that it would be totally unfair for the event organiser to have to take sole responsibility for the safety and welfare of the participants.
Surely the most obvious solution would be to appoint a committee to standardise the safety procedures that would be adopted across the board with a further sub committee to organise a specific event at specific locations and times. All overseen by an elected association member to take the final decision on an event actually taking place and who would be permitted to join in. Perhaps entitled 'Commodore' which would seem appropriate for such a position, assisted in the event of his absence by a 'Vice Commodore'. A trained Health and Safety advisor with appropriate training in risk management would of course be required, the costs his training incur could be covered by a small nominal fee to join the Swallow Boats Association. Further funds could be raised through the sail of Blazer badges, ties, cravats and ladies headscarfes. We will then, of course, require a Treasurer to properly oversee this expenditure and account for funds raised. The administration could be handled by an elected Secretary...You get the message!? 

Am I missing something here? If I go out to sea in my boat and invite my pal to sail along with me in his boat, then we each do a separate passage plan, check weather, tides, charts etc, sea worthiness of our own boats and equipment and take full responsibility for our own actions. Yes we look out for each other in the spirit of good seamanship but still fully retain our individual responsibilities.

Surely these 'events' are merely one or two sailors going out to sea (or lake etc) and inviting their pals to come along if they want to.. Or am I just being naive?

Andy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version