Author Topic: Acetal Keel Rollers for CLH trailer - group order?  (Read 4927 times)

Sea Simon

Have had difficulties finding suppliers at the correct dimensions.
I need 200mm (8") wide, v-bobbin profile rollers, with a spindle bore size of 19mm (3/4"). Outer D 75mm, centre d appx 55mm.
See photo.
Stoltz do not do them (their W= 200mm, have 16mm (5/8") spindles).

These guys say they can make to order (in a week or two, unfortunately for those at Mylor - which is closeby) at appx £25 >£30 each, ex-works; they have no stock.
http://www.versatilemarine.co.uk/trailer-bow-rollers-2/

"We manufacture them from Acetal, which unlike nylon, does not absorb water or shrink, so your boat will run freely on the trailer."

This price seems OK versus Stoltz, for example?
Anyone else interested in a small batch run; maybe we can get a better price?
I would be prepared to post on at, say appx cost +/- 10% - to cover my expenses only. Have no idea what postage itself might be - but always seems to be more than I expect these days!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Mikecambray

Re: Acetal Keel Rollers for CLH trailer - group order?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2019, 18:36 »
I'll give these a go and will need three for my Baycruiser 23 trailer.  Why not ask Versatile Marine to post them direct to whoever is in - saves packing and posting them twice?

Cheers,

Mike
BC23 #12 'Juno', (formerly 'Golightly').
ex Drascombe Coaster 'Shasa'.

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:23 »
Penryn is not too far from me. I was planning to collect as I need other stuff from that area which cannot be posted (e.g. Aspen fuel).
These rollers will be heavy.

I'll give it a week or so, before I go back for any "batch discount".

Let's see what Mylor brings  ;)
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Mikecambray

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2019, 13:25 »
Great, no rush, and I'm happy to pay Versatile Marine the going rate.  Small manufacturers are worthy recipients of our support.

Sea Simon

I will get this sorted next week.
...From Oct 22.

Sea Simon

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2019, 08:22 »
Not quite "next week", but I will order these tomorrow.
Been busy with outdoor projects...and sailing!
Heavy rain tomorrow.

6. 3 each for MikeC and I.
Anyone else?

...From Oct 22.

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2019, 14:30 »
Order placed.
...From Oct 22.

Mikecambray

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2019, 12:53 »
Many thanks, let me know how I can get payment to you?
Cheers,
Mike

Sea Simon

Our order was collected this week, have posted three on to mikecambray; many thanks for payment Mike!
Note: rollers £24 each; postage was £14 for 3.

Sizes given in original post proved accurate.
Mine fitted easily; just took a little time to drive the old rubber rollers off their axles/spindles. The spindles had only light surface corrosion, but the old rollers relied on the axles spinning in their brackets; mine did not spin roller on the axle itself.
Well lubed with silicon grease, my new keel rollers now spin freely, like bearings. The roller spins on its axle as well as the axle in the bracket (at the moment!). I think this spin of the roller on the axle itself should be most helpful when loaded, as is a comparatively large bearing area, not edge loaded steel/steel as original.

Other.
Have also "invested" in some "Floatem Poles" docking arms (Ebay winter bargain!). http://www.floatempoles.co.uk/
A possible disadvantage is that the cushions are in "Rail Worker Orange"? My wife seems to think so.  :-[
At least no one will be able to say they couldn't see my trailer, particularly when empty. Will help dominate/intimidate when head-to-head in the narrow Cornish lanes. ;)

Will report back after I have used my modified trailer.

PS Aspen fuel in Penryn also; £19/5 L. As good a price as I can find anywhere?
...From Oct 22.

Sea Simon

Re: Acetal Keel Rollers for CLH trailer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2019, 20:31 »
Bit of feed back.

Happy.

New rollers served well on recovery, and for a temporary re-launch (my ballast tank proved to be badly contaminated with mud/sand when I drained it as I hauled out, so I hosed out and relaunched to flush)
Ideal opportunity to re-launch, which proved the acetal rollers to be just the job; they worked well- the "heave ho aspect had gone. i used to really have to get my shoulder under the bow, to get the boat moving.
This all done alone.
I didn't need to "back-haul" with the winch strap, but to be completely fair - I will need to see how the new rollers perform after the winter "stand".

I have also made up and fitted an additional (third) keel roller, which is likely to have some positive effect.

How were yours MikeC?

The "Floatem Poles" also worked well in terms of P/S alignment, but still need a little more tweeking/adjusting.
...From Oct 22.

Sea Simon

Re: Acetal Keel Rollers for CLH trailer
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2020, 10:51 »
Bit of feed back...
New rollers served well on recovery..... but to be completely fair- I will need to see how the new rollers perform after the winter "stand".
The "Floatem Poles" also worked well in terms of P/S alignment, but still need a little more tweeking/adjusting.

All went well on launch this morning. Had the floatem poles been wider apart, the boat would have rolled straight off, as soon as untied from trailer.
Restrained with the painter. Winch not used.
No shoving, back winching etc needed at all.

Moderately sloped slipway, steel of wheels just wet.
Very pleased.
Boat had been stood in same spot almost 8 months.
...From Oct 22.

Mikecambray

« Reply #11 on: 07 Jun 2020, 22:50 »
Great to hear the rollers work so well. I haven’t got on the water yet!! I will update once I get to that happy day.