Author Topic: Sailing in the end of days  (Read 20477 times)

Ape Ears

Re: Sailing in the end of days
« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2020, 12:39 »
One Flu over the Swallows* Nest.

Things were starting to look very Beak in confinement.  Not only were we stuck in Spain but on our CCTV I spied the Swallows nest in our porch had squatters. No, not a *Cuckoo or another bird Robin their perch, but a little Wren. I could not help bursting into song to join its joyful Tweets: Wren will I see you again?

Scheduled flights from Malaga are cancelled for the next fortnight, but fortunately for some of us stuck in Spain, easyJet have sent out two empty planes to pick up those Snookered (ref earlier post) by Rest-Cue Flights.

We Flu back directly over our Bird House on our return yesterday. The whole complement of passengers erupted into spontaneous applause in relief on landing in Liverpool to thank the Cock-pit Pilot, Co-pilot, and the Hens of the cabin crew. So a sincere thank you to all of you on easyJet who modestly replied, "we are only doing our job".

I rather think it proves the point: you can take the mickey out of the Scousers as much as you like, but they will always get their own back.

Anyway, out of the Flying Plan and back into the Fire.

Jonno, sadly the latest news of the cancellation of Sail Caledonia and the Swallow Raid for 2020 may mean the solo sailors have the last laugh. But I am sure all the participating crews will miss the Craic !
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2020, 12:01 »
Seen in the Ashford branch of Sainsbury’s on Friday.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2020, 13:59 »
That’s sailing on Lake Bala ruled out then.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2020, 09:40 »
That’s sailing on Lake Bala ruled out then.

Very much the feeling down here in Cornwall too.
The entire County has only one General Hospital.
Both the County Council, and our MP have called for a pause in tourism.

Generally has gone very quiet already, but one or two chancers that have been advertising "bolt holes" specifically for rent to refugees from the cities have met with a "robust response".

Cruise ship visit to Fowey last week saw shops shutting, so as to keep the passengers out!

I assume that the Swallow raid at Mylor has been cancelled/postponed?
Nothing seen/heard, here or otherwise.

All local organised sailing has been cancelled, my club is closed.

How long before they close the river accesses?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2020, 09:55 »
Maybe should have added???

Lest we all forget that previous disaster:  very wet weather -  flooding!
The ground is still sodden.

Yesterday, I was unable to action my launch-banning-beating, pre-emptive strike;  the ground is  still so wet that my 4x4 was unable (on road tyres)  to drag the trailer from the field.
The field is on top of a hill!
Maybe will have to borrow a tractor?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

Re: Sailing in the end of days= Falmouth Classics Cancelled
« Reply #20 on: 23 Mar 2020, 19:38 »
Falmouth Classics is officially Cancelled:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The Falmouth Classics Association, following the Coronavirus (Covid 19) outbreak, the likely continuation into June and beyond and the possible increase in Government control measures, has decided, with great regret, that it must cancel the thirty third Falmouth Classics to be held from 12 -14 June 2020.
We would like to thank all those who have already entered, our very supportive sponsors and our advertisers. This is an unprecedented occurrence in the long history of the Classics but we look forward to a healthy 2021, when the Classics will take place from 11 – 13 June. We hope all those who have supported the 2020 event will be prepared to do so next year.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Suspect that after tonight's impending announcement that may well be the least of our worries?
...From Oct 22.

Peter Taylor

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2020, 10:28 »
Lara emailed me a few days ago to say the 2020 Swallow Yachts raid is cancelled.

From Wednesday March 18th all National Coastwatch lookouts have been closed down. It was a reluctant decision by the Trustees but, since most watchkeepers are retired (and therefore have the time to volunteer), many of us are in our seventies or fast approaching them.  There was a danger that, by keeping the lookouts open, we might cause more deaths on land than we save on the sea!

So if you decide to self-isolate on your boat, be aware that NCI won't be watching you!
_____________________________ _____________

National Coastwatch makes every effort to ensure that emails it sends are virus free but can offer no guarantee of such. The recipient should swab this Email and any attachments with alcohol based hand wash which is possibly still available from the Sark (C.I.) general store.  NCI recommends that this email is read from a distance of at least 2m. Optical aids are sold by Specsavers. Other Brands are available.
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Sea Simon

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2020, 19:15 »
I was joking, but....

There are now three live-aboards on the river, and visible from my house (not my BRe!).
Given that the river here dries on low springs perhaps not the most comfortable place to be? Although this fabulous weather helps!
Not sure if they are self isolaters, or just getting a break from their nearest and dearest?

And also, email from the Fowey Harbour Master this morning....the river is now effectively "shut".
He has even prohibited kayaks and SUPs.
So much for that form of exercise......

...From Oct 22.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 04 Apr 2020, 13:46 »
If you're missing your sailing, you could try this https://www.facebook.com/andy.erceanu/videos/3226083870757904/
Graham

david

« Reply #24 on: 04 Apr 2020, 19:47 »
The joys we are currently missing, hopefully, not for too much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpOj-M-sl6E

David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

david

« Reply #25 on: 04 Apr 2020, 19:51 »
And here is another. It does no get much better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMNtNX47JBA
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 05 Apr 2020, 21:58 »
I don’t remember seeing this one before https://youtu.be/uPMe8XiJdh0
Graham

Peter T

« Reply #27 on: 06 Apr 2020, 17:00 »
I do Graham, and the film of 059 in particular, was one reason why I ordered 075.

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #28 on: 09 Apr 2020, 08:59 »
Just thought you might like to know that volunteers from Swallow Yachts staff are presently making face protection wear for the NHS.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2020, 18:28 »
Just thought you might like to know that volunteers from Swallow Yachts staff are presently making face protection wear for the NHS.

Lara at the yard has just sent around an email asking for donations.  Let me know if you haven't heard from her and want to contribute.  Attached a photo of the first 350 masks destined for the NHS made by volunteer staff on furlough.  Bravo!
Graham