Author Topic: Sailing in the end of days  (Read 20453 times)

Sea Simon

Re: Sailing in the end of days
« Reply #45 on: 17 May 2020, 21:53 »
We have friends in the Lake District who are experiencing similar issues.

I would say that on balance, it's all rather more stressful than you might think? Perhaps the fantastic weather has not been completely helpful? Too much, too soon? Many seem to have already forgotten why they are not at work?

From what we've seen here over the past few days, things are likely to get harder before they get easier.

Imo, we have much in common with rural Scotland, in that there are many reasons why our health data here has been relatively good. Many of those protective  reasons are now being eroded?

Should have added...some of which may be useful?

Harbour Authority are  discouraging "over-nighting as " not in the spirit" and akin to the holiday home aspects of the restrictions. Coastal cruising is apparently "not allowed".
This seems reasonable?

That said, here we have still one of our two regular live-aboards, who are a long term pita (some refer to them as "travellers afloat"). They continue to breach  normal harbour by laws, as well as the new Covid regs.
Marine Police visted a couple of weeks back, and one has "gone home", boat still here.
The other has remained as-was,  apparently in defiance?
Nothing seems to be done about that boat, the "pikey principle" appears to apply? If you are sufficiently anti social, and irresponsible you appear to be able to get away with a very great deal of rule breaking before any authority will attempt a solution to the problems caused to "normal" law abiding folk.... those that pay the wages of those in authority.

Coincidentally, we are also starting to have issues with "free camping" in the woods at the end of my lane. Not travellers, but people who seem to think it acceptable to just please themselves. One lot recently camped ON the footpath!
You may be aware that free camping is not allowed in England. I believe Scotland is different?

We've lived here >30 years, and both live-aboards, and free camping are new problems here.

The relevant part of my slight rant (sorry!) is that it appears that, ultimately, if you have a diminished social conscience, it appears that you can just about do as you please.
No real news there then? Just that the potential consequences of such random interactions are nowadays very much greater.

Good luck!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Peter Taylor

« Reply #46 on: 18 May 2020, 12:02 »
The Government said they were easing the lockdown in baby steps and then made one giant leap by allowing people to drive as far as they want, including to the coast! As far as I know they did not consult or even warn any marine safety organisations or beach authorities!

At the moment, the marine search and rescue system is not fully operational.

HM Coastguard and the various Lifeboats (RNLI and independent) have been operating throughout the lockdown with adjusted working methods. HMCG are trying to stress to people that if they go on the water they should be confident that they can take care of themselves since there is no way that a Lifeboat crew can socially isolate when on task. Even in normal years there is a flurry of distress calls at the start of the season - often motors not starting due to flat batteries or stale fuel, what is this year going to be like? SeaStart are operating but may tow a boat into a local harbour rather than effect a repair on the water.

There are no RNLI lifeguards at beaches - they are hoping to start manning selected beaches as soon as possible and gradually increase the coverage.

All National Coastwatch stations closed down on March 18th. From last Saturday (16th May) those NCI stations which can be single staffed are starting to reopen. However many watch keepers fall into the "vulnerable" category so watchkeeping hours are likely to be restricted. Many NCI stations including my own home base at Calshot Tower are not suitable for single manned operation and are also too small to allow effective social distancing. These will be reopened if, and when, safe operating procedures can be devised.

But many people have decided that going on the water is a good way to get out of the lockdown, and typically these are not experienced water users! Here in Southampton I am seeing many more people on the River Itchen than normal - commonly in inflatable kayaks which they don't know how to paddle and without any buoyancy aids. The water is still quite cold at this time of year so if they do go in cold shock is a very real hazard. (Coincidentally, as I write this, a jet-ski is disturbing the peace of the river whilst breaking the 6 knot limit.)  Apparently the local beaches have been very busy over the weekend.

So, that's the situation here in Southampton and the Solent, rant over!
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Sea Simon

« Reply #47 on: 18 May 2020, 13:55 »
Sorry to post again, but I feel I should strongly support Peter's previous post wrt several points, including:

Wear life jackets! Frightening how many we've seen in kayaks, without LJ/BA or appropriate clothing. One guy in only board shorts!

The water is cold!

Lookouts and rescue services are also not "normal" at the moment. There will be additional delays.

I've attached a 3m floating tow rope to the stern of my kayak, in case one of these idiots expects me to help them. If they behave so irresponsibly on the water, what do they do ashore? We don't want to be near them.

I'm sure I don't need to tell folk on here, but perhaps need to get it off my chest? :-) we were shocked.

Good luck on the Solent Peter!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

mark1

« Reply #48 on: 18 May 2020, 14:09 »
Thanks both for the information, I guess I've all that to look forward to!
I suppose the not staying away overnight rule is meant to limit how far people can travel, but that is only helpful if there aren't too many people within day-tripping distance from your area.
Simon, you're right about camping in Scotland, you are allowed to wild camp, and wild camping has a clear definition in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (worth a read if you're ever comin up!), so for example camping at the end of your street or on the track wouldn't be defined as wild camping and there is no right to do that.
As far as the Scottish lockdown goes the only change is we are allowed to exercise outside as many times as we want in a day (I'm exhausted!).
Something I heard at the start of lockdown that I liked, one of the mountain rescue teams said they would still try to rescue people but they may not be able to do it on the same day, so people should be prepared to spend at least the night out if they get into difficulties. Fear is a great motivator!

TimLM

« Reply #49 on: 22 May 2020, 09:15 »
On a more pleasant note - I fully concur with everything said - I went to sail in Portland harbour last Sunday and with one exception the club (CCSC) and the sailors on the water are acting with considerable social grace, however I have not been into Weymouth where I feel the opposite might apply.
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

Sea Simon

« Reply #50 on: 23 May 2020, 10:00 »
Portland probably a wise move then Tim. Just that little bit more off the beaten track perhaps?

That doesn't seem to be working here unfortunately.
I launched the Bre at 0530 Thursday, to try to get it done while quiet...only to find  2  groups totalling 6 kayaks ahead of me. None "local".
One of our  generally " locals only" hidden-gem beaches (its a right faff,  and  quite unpleasant  to get to on foot, but has free Parking) similarly overrun. Social distancing "pushed". I'm fairly sure that was locals, from the cars/trade vans. We went home...

As the landlord of my local said yesterday, we seem to have the worst of both at the moment?
Overrun with people, many of whom seem to be sleeping in cars/vans and, given as toilets etc are all closed, leaving a lot of rubbish and other mess behind.
Yet tourist related businesses are unable to make any money out of them!

Great to get out on the water again tho!
 Strong SW winds here atm, so no new-season sailing shake downs until Monday.

Hopefully things will start to calm down a bit more next week?
...From Oct 22.

Sea Simon

« Reply #51 on: 26 May 2020, 14:35 »
Have now had three good days out, and feeling a lot more positive!

Would only add, perhaps for the benefitof others?

Allow a lot more time that you think you need, both to launch and return. Big queues here, even on a very out of the way slip.
I had to hang off, in my dinghy, for 40 mins the other evening. Waiting for what we felt was a safe slot to get ashore, and clear....the numbers of kayakers and SUPs milling about were amazing.

Also, despite perhaps >75%  of moorings being empty, the water was quite busy. Must be lots of day boats? Swarming with SUPs and kayaks. We went out in the bay to sail.

Other change of interest, was that as people are trying to do the right thing and social distance, every tiny scrap of sand visible as "coves" between the rocks at low tide had a party of SUP/kayaks pulled up the beach. People beaching where ordinarily they wouldn't.

Beaching BRe in to our usual haunts very difficult. Needs a work around.
I will start taking my inflatable, so as to anchor off, then grab our own "cove". 
Easterlies all week...
 and they tend to cramp our available areas on this coast, as we are exposed.
...From Oct 22.

JvilleJeff

« Reply #52 on: 22 Jun 2020, 16:33 »
It is the BEST form of social distancing... something I've been doing all along anyway

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 27 Jun 2020, 20:59 »
How about some garden rowing? My two pairs of long carbon fibre oars are now for sale on eBay.  Includes a special deal for forum members, not on eBay. See for sale and wanted, below.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III