Author Topic: Sailing in the end of days  (Read 20453 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Sailing in the end of days
« on: 04 Mar 2020, 12:35 »
If you’re wondering how to keep yourself occupied during the coronavirus end of days, I think sailing a small trailer sailer has much to recommend it.

Consider this:
When trailering your boat, you will not be using public transport or flying
Unless racing, you will be keeping a distance of substantially more than 1m from other humans (unless you have crew)
Salt water kills some viruses.  Lake water, not so much.
Instead of being cooped up watching Netflix, you will be out in the open air
If planning a small boat cruise, you will have a guilt-free excuse for stocking up on doomsday provisions like UHT milk and tinned curries

Of course, if trailering long distances you will have to be wary in motorway service areas.  You will somehow have to discourage onlookers from coming up to admire your boat (ostentatious coughing should do the trick).  And retiring to the pub or yacht club of an evening will be out of the question.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

Re: Sailing in the end of days
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2020, 13:21 »
We have Italian family, from Milan area.....they haven't arrived here...yet...

Coincidentally, I currently work (in the UK) for an Italian company....with HQ in Milan....

Perfect storm?

I'm thinking of becoming a live-aboard; mid river, of course!
Will be taking my shot gun....

I knew  my BRe  cabin would come in handy, but really wish I had that BC26 now!

Should I break this plan to my wife this evening? ;)

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Ape Ears

« Reply #2 on: 04 Mar 2020, 13:44 »
Stone the crows!

As a form of avian viral infection, if corvid infects swallows, then nowhere will be safe for us.

Then again it may just be a passerine phase.

Ornithologists will understand. Hopefully?

Andrew

Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Ape Ears

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2020, 20:13 »
Corvid-19 Update.

A view from the Crow’s nest.

It may seem Raven mad acting like a Loon but as a Rookie reporter this virus is not a simple Chough. It may be a case of having Bittern more than we can chew as it will become harder to Swallow.

The Stork markets have plummeted amidst Owls from t’Waders. It may be close to the bottom as assets are stripped by panic bought toilet roll. As it all goes down the pan it is likely to result in a Bustard flush wiping millions from net worth.
If all holdings had been liquidated one could still be flush with cash but open to a nasty case of Thrush.

The whole world is going quackers as the Chinese propose export of thousands of Ducks to eat the plague of locusts. As if their Falcon virus has not done enough. There is a glimmer of hope in the development of a vaccine but this is likely to need injecting with an Eagle.

Avoiding public transport is not viable. There is an inherent risk hiring a vehicle with manual transmission. A sudden illness can develop having Contracted Car owner virus.

If it all goes Tits up with the drop in oil prices perhaps one could distill the alcohol from E10 Petrel as an effective antiseptic or for personal consumption?
Or is that just taking the Pee-wit?

Sorry for the sic humour. I am  going to stop Larking about and Swan off.
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'

Michael Rogers

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2020, 22:06 »
Not at all bad, Andrew. Another career as a sketch writer beckoning? - or perhaps you are one already?
Michael R

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2020, 17:37 »
I’ve been notified of supermarket limits on purchases by customers, in an attempt to curb coronavirus-related panic buying:

Asda: 2 hand sanitisers and a four pack toilet roll.

Tesco: 1 hand sanitiser, 500g of rice and a 4 pack of toilet rolls.

Waitrose: 1 Lobster, a carton of crab paté, 6 quails eggs and 100g of Foie Gras.

Aldi: A home welding kit, a pink sports bra, 2 trumpets, an anchor and a wetsuit.
Graham

Ape Ears

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2020, 17:13 »
Thanks Michael. I am concerned I might write something I would later Egret, but the Bird brained ideas come from a professional career having to Crane my neck Tweeting patients.

The Tern ‘Swallow’ may be taken to refer to someone who flies somewhere warm for a few months to escape the UK winter, and then returns to summer in Britain. Guilty as charged, I may have to come before the Beak to answer the Claws in the latest Bill to quarantine tourists as a true ‘Swallow’, but my alibi is that I am still in rehab.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Fly down to Costa for nice coffee and a bit of sunshine. I should have taken the circling Falcon Buzzards and other raptors overhead as not simply Kite flying but as an evil omen as they sought their Swallow prey.

We had problems Chicken in at the airport due to a chunk of cheese in our case.  The scanner in security was not Foiled by the aluminium wrapper, but we were allowed on the Plane as we Flu down to Spain with the strengthening Bries.

We had met Dennis Taylor Speedy Boarding at Liverpool. I did ask whether he should still be at the end of the Cue. The joke backfired badly as we have all ended up Snookered in Spain.

We are now all under a State of virtual house arrest, it is not just a load of old Balearics, it is Littorally a crime to go down to the Coast, so sailing is out of the question. There are no lobsters visible anywhere on the beaches but reassuringly Aldi still has a good selection of frozen seafood as everything else is ‘rolled out’.

Graham, I suspect Fowl  play in the stripping of the posh supermarket shelves as there are no Turkeys Ducks or Chickens left for the poor Pheasants.
Simon, if you take your shot gun on the boat, don’t forget the ammunition Partridges.

At least the threat of a collateral Thrush infection has been reduced with the postponed release of the latest Bond film. The producers have stuttered to find a less emotive title and settled on ‘ It’s No Time T’Turdidae’. That may have been dropped by a Stool Pigeon.

Anyway the moral of the Tail:

Semper in excretia sumus, solim profundum variat.     

Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'

Matthew P

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2020, 18:19 »
No more pun-ishing posts please.

Book your place on the Swallow Boats meeting at Ullswater in 10-12 July after the panic is over and give yourself something to look forward to.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Michael Rogers

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2020, 20:30 »
Graham, I laughed a lot - thank you!
I blush to admit that we shop (on line) at Waitrose. It would be ungallant, but true, to say that that is not my choice, but I hereby semi-publicly relinquish my entitlement to the lobster and the foie gras (relaxes into a glow of self-righteousness).
Michael

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2020, 09:51 »
For those panic buying, I have a large supply of small rolls, scotch eggs and cheese and pickle crips available for the first panic buyer.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2020, 15:33 »
The attached is a quarantini, alleged to boost immunity (includes honey and lemon).  In the background, an ostentatious and distasteful exhibition of extreme wealth.
Graham

Ape Ears

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2020, 16:24 »
Rob, We are not panicking yet , but could you spare us one large Rolls to drive back, a Scotch Whisky for medicinal purposes as an egg will not be un oeuf to get us through France. We have plenty of cheese (see earlier post) but we are in a bit of a pickle , so currently we have no shortage of quips !

At the risk of being Throstled by Matthew if and Wren we return, I would like to continue my Chat as we have been in isolation for five days. There is little movement in mainland Spain as in the Canaries. Travel restrictions are being widely observed with flights cancelled and no sailings, so it is Ferry nough as everyone is equally affected.

I can’t even get out to walk or go on my bike, so I am developing Cycle Pathic tendencies. It is forbidden to go down to the pub for two pints of lager (and a packet of crips). I hate to Harp on about it, but even if I keep taking the Pils, I could murder a Corona right now.

Hopefully the manic humour is not contagious as we are quarantined, but please check your anti virus software just to be on the safe side.

Graham, sorry crossed post. V serious Government response in latest news bulletin.

A new Master of the Rolls has just been appointed.
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'

jonno

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2020, 20:55 »
I note most of these humorist sailors - Graham, Michael, Rob - are single-handers.

I feel sorry for Andrew's crew.

Michael Rogers

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2020, 22:03 »
Scene - a crowded Post Office.
Enter two men in masks: everyone goes tense with fear.
One of the masked men - "This is a hold-up!"
Everyone visibly relaxes.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2020, 13:39 »
A friend in Germany tells me everyone’s panic buying sausages and cheese. It’s a Wurst Käse scenario.

And apparently Greece is running low on hummus and taramasalata, leading to fears of a double dip recession.
Graham