Author Topic: Sailing in the end of days  (Read 20626 times)

Thomas Rahm

Re: Sailing in the end of days
« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2020, 18:43 »
Hi Graham,
thank you for the information. I got an email from Lara. I think the idea is great and I will contact her.
I wish the team every success and all the best.
Thomas   
Thomas R  BRE 084 "well done"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 15 Apr 2020, 14:26 »
Here's the next best thing to real sailing - a bit of garden sailing.  Turaco has not been out on the water since 2018 but has been well covered and tucked away in the garage, so isn't looking too bad.  The front of the boat cover has been eaten away by UV so I've bought a mini tarpaulin to hide the raggedy bits.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 26 Apr 2020, 14:16 »
More garden sailing adventures.
Graham

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #33 on: 26 Apr 2020, 15:29 »
You never know Graham you may well have a “poop deck” soon you didn’t know about, photo,s look really good let’s hope we can get out on the water very soon

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 07 May 2020, 10:27 »
We should open a book on whether sailing will be included along with such sports as tennis, golf and fishing when restrictions are partially lifted on Monday.  I reckon it would be daft not to include it, as long as there's only socially distant fraternisation in the clubhouse afterwards.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #35 on: 07 May 2020, 14:22 »
Sorry to be pessimistic, but given the negative stance of both the RYA and the RNLI, I suspect we will not be back on the water.

Following a general "banning order" by the Harbour Authority in these parts, queries indicate that their main issue concerns COVID risks posed to would- be rescuers (boat crews, HMCG etc).
Seems to me this will not change?
This is of course an entirely separate issue from self isolation

However,  the RNLI refers to "safety at sea" so we may have a bit of a loop hole on rivers/lakes...for those that way inclined?

So.....given the negative stance of both the RYA and the RNLI,...... I'm considering buying/borrowing a dog, and/or a bicycle as either seems to be a licence to do as you please around these parts? :-)

Alternatively, I'm sure some of the extremely wealthy holiday house owners (I would venture almost all "Covidiots" we've witnessed continuing boating, regardless of either peer pressure or "regulations" fulfill this criteria?)  will continue to see any fines imposed as merely a good-value "admission charge"?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

mark1

« Reply #36 on: 07 May 2020, 15:49 »
I understand all the reason for keeping folk off the water, and of course am fully compliant, but the logic only really holds up if you yourself are safer on a bike than in a boat!

david

« Reply #37 on: 08 May 2020, 02:39 »
The  boat ramps are open today in San Diego .  I am  willing  to  take you out if you can get here  ????⛵
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 08 May 2020, 10:52 »
Hang on, I'll just get my swimming trunks.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #39 on: 11 May 2020, 09:32 »
Good news! Maybe?

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/return-to-boating-update.aspx
............................. ............................. .........................
The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) warmly welcomes a return to the water following the Prime Minister’s announcement today [10 May 2020] during which he stated that from this Wednesday, the Government wants to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise.

Since the lockdown commenced, the RYA has presented a strong case for boating to be one of the first activities that can be resumed safely within the parameters for social distancing.

From Wednesday, 13 May unlimited outdoor activity will be permitted in England, and we understand that this will include all forms of boating. 

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2020, 09:48 »
Meanwhile, sourced via the Drascombe Forum (thanks!) Here is an interesting site from New Zealand authorities.

https://www.covid19outdoors.nz/

My reading of this, is that rowing, kayaking (smooth waters) wind surfing and surfing (these two seem rather bizarre risk assessments to me?) Are ok.
However sailing, yachting and power boating is still not allowed.
"This is to reduce any additional strain on emergency, medical and search and rescue services if an incident should occur."

I still can't see racing/rallying being allowed here? Even with current new RYA info in last post?

Personally, I'm thinking kayaking or boating in the river or very close to shore (NZ guidance talks about 200m) should be ok, but coastal voyages are definitely  too much?

Let's see what Wednesday brings?
I won't be taking the boat and trailer off the axle stands just yet......

Besides, we've a 30 knot NE 'ly here atm. Kayaking not pleasant!
...From Oct 22.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2020, 13:26 »
Fingers crossed that we'll be back on the water soon.  But the ban on jet skis should continue.
Graham

mark1

« Reply #42 on: 17 May 2020, 18:12 »
I've had mixed reports of what's happening in England, have people been able to go boating this week?

From slightly envious in Scotland.

Sea Simon

« Reply #43 on: 17 May 2020, 19:33 »
It's been like an August weekend here in Cornwall, car parks rammed, river full of kayakers and small sports boats (all the stuff that's easily launched).
Not all good, by any means.

We've been kayaking. Great to get out, but it all feels rather edgy, attempting to avoid the "Covidiots" that have been released into the wild! Not ALL enjoyable.
In general the "Birmingham Navy" (often the rentals) haven't even arrived yet...but a kayaker rescued by both the lifeboat then HMCG helicopter (on the Lizard in far SW Cornwall) is reported as having driven down from LEICESTER for the day! Approx 6 hours each way!!

BRe not launched, long story  but ultimately due, atm, to neap tides at home slipway. No water!

No dinghy or yacht racing, at all. Sailing clubs remain  closed.
Boat and kayak rentals closed.
...From Oct 22.

mark1

« Reply #44 on: 17 May 2020, 20:24 »
Thanks Simon for your report.
That's got to be a bit stressful going straight from lockdown to full tourist invasion.
As much as I'm looking forward to things easing up here I'm also worried the sudden invasion of visitors that will come to the area might not do us any good!
Ah well, my boat has never been so well prepared for a season as now..