Author Topic: Rutland Water 2014  (Read 36611 times)

Peter Cockerton

Rutland Water 2014
« on: 28 Sep 2013, 20:07 »
Prompted by some members that attended the event last year and Julian’s latest entry on "End of Season" I thought I would suggest that we get together again for probably the first of the Swallow Boat gatherings for 2014 at Rutland Water.

Myself and Andy D will organise permission to hold the event at Whitwell, car and trailer parking, access to toilets and showers etc. As per last year overnight stops on your boats will not be a problem, I will arrange rooms at a local pub for those requesting accommodation and I’m sure we can get together in the evening for a "few scoops" as my youngest lad tells me is the current term and a probably most welcome meal.

As far as dates in April are concerned any of the weekends are possible, probably best to leave a couple of weeks between this one and the Ullswater gathering so shall we plump for the 19/20th as a starter.

Please post your interest on the forum and advise me if you would like a room and meal booking. I will of course find out the cost's before making any bookings and confirm with you first.

Members comments from last year :

Great to meet so many nice people at Rutland and it was good to see all those Swallow Boats craft on the water. We'll have to do it again sometime! Thank you to Peter for organising this and getting us all on the water while keeping it friendly and informal. Somehow you even managed to fix the weather too!

Peter,
Thanks for organising a great weekend afloat. Even the weather was kind, despite the odd bit of snow lying around.  Great to meet so many Swallow owners and their boats.

To add my thanks to Peter for organising and everyone for making it such an enjoyable weekend.
It was great to meet you all.

Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Rutland Water 2014
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2013, 07:31 »
Peter,

The problem with that weekend is that it is Easter, which probably means children coming home from the Big Smoke to eat a few proper meals, ask for money, get their laundry done, etc etc.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2013, 12:48 »
Graham

Do you have dates which would suit you better.

Take your point on Easter break family type issues, i floated those dates to get feedback, changing dates not a problem, lets see what the other members come back with and hopefully get dates which suit the majority.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2013, 12:51 »
How about the weekend after, 26th/27th?
Graham

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2013, 13:21 »
Graham

Ullswater weekend is in the diary for May 10/11th May the weekend after your proposed dates for Rutland.

Issue ??
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 01 Oct 2013, 13:24 »
Not for me - let's see what others say.
Graham

Simon Reeve

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2013, 15:37 »
Peter, Graham,
Have not been watching posts recently due to too many nice weekends. Had a great day's sail at Rutland last Sunday in sunshine and medium strength winds. New 3-day old Bayraider there with family trailered in for the day. Had a chat but didn't manage to exchange names.
Now the weather has really turned thoughts turn to planning for 2014.
26/27th April suits me for the Rutland Rally. There is still the bank holiday weekend 3/4th May in between this one and Ullswater.
Simon

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:55 »
I have asked Jonathon to put the event on the forum diary for the 26/27 of April, the dates meet approval of all that have reponded to date. The Saturday evening get together was very popular last year (pub meal and a few beers) so i for one and Andy D for another would be very keen to see as many of you again next year.

So far we have :

Bayraider  20 GRP Joybells
Bayraider  20 WE Psalter
Bayraider  20 GRP Turaco 111
Baycruiser 23 GRP Anam Cara
Bayraider  17 WE.  Emily (still in build)
Bayraider  17 WE   Nona Me
Bayraider.  20 WE.  Llafurio

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #8 on: 05 Nov 2013, 09:58 »
Hi Peter,
Great to see you're organising this event again. I'm sorry  that Vagabond won't be there in 2014. It's not that we didn't enjoy the inaugural event but because she's currently ashore (deliberately) at Balvicar, near Oban and it's a long way to trailer down to Rutland and then back for the Sail Caledonia event at the end of May.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the weather for you.....
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #9 on: 05 Nov 2013, 14:35 »
Rob

Many thanks for letting me know, you will be missed, especially around the meal tables with your "Salty tales". Open invitation aboard my boat should you fancy coming over.

Enjoyed reading your entry in the "messing about in boats" post, I to have on many occasions wondered why she won't respond to the helm or on one occasion "tack", all down to me forgetting I lifted the centreboard in shallow water or it has lifted off its own accord and I hadn't noticed. Come to think about it the rudder has caught me out before now as well, although it's surprising how much control you still have with the rudder blade horizontal in the water.
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2013, 12:14 »
I hope to be there with Emily, BR17 kit number 2 Currently she needs a top coat of paint, mast & rudder making, and fitting out. Put me down as tentative.

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2013, 17:14 »
Anthony

Look forward to seeing you there if you can get her finished, if not we could always find a crew space for you.

All

Will need to start firming things up in the new year so please let me know if you are considering attending. Interest in evening meal and overnight rooms so we can find a venue.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2014, 22:43 »
Several SB owners have now confirmed or registered an interest in attending our get together at Rutland this year, the list of boats is as follows :-

Bayraider  20           GRP Joybells
Bayraider  20           WE Psalter
Bayraider  20           GRP Turaco 111
Baycruiser 23          GRP Anam Cara
Bayraider  17           WE.  Emily (still in build) (TBC)
Bayraider  17           WE   Nona Me
Bayraider. 20           WE.  Llafurio (TBC)
Cardigan Bay Lugger WE  Four Sisters

If you are thinking of coming please let me know so I can give the water sports centre  prior warning, they may need to arrange for additional safety crews.

More than likely we will use the White Horse again at Empingham so I have asked them to provide the group booking rates for rooms and meals, to take advantage of the lower prices i will need you to express your interest ASAP.

Thanks

Peter Cockerton

Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2014, 12:49 »
Following a conversation with the water sports centre today they have offered a 25% discount for us on bookings of a minimum of 6 boats. The normal fee is £16.00 per day to launch your boat. A new pontoon (2013) has been installed which makes the launch very civilised and easy with built in fenders to protect you gelcoat. They have confirmed they will leave the toilet block open for the weekend and access through the new security gates so you can go out for your evening meal should you be sleeping on board.

To secure the discount on the launch i will need to prepay the fees sometime in March so once again i need to start firming things up.

The White Horse at Empingham have also come back to me, they normally charge £84.00 for a double room, this includes a cooked breakfast, if i let them know how many rooms we need they will offer a discount, so again let me know ASAP.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Tony

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:26 »
The boat needs work and so does the owner (festooned with NHS hardware at present.) Both should be back to normal by April.
Any room for "Four Sisters" and I?