Author Topic: jib sail arrangement  (Read 7775 times)

adel11252

jib sail arrangement
« on: 07 Apr 2014, 07:58 »
Got fed up with the bottom bar of my jib sail getting plastered to the top of the cabin that I fear some damage might happen. Actually the rubber piece attached to the bottom of this wooden piece got a bit damaged. I decided to go conventional arrangement here, removing the wooden bottom bar and having the arrangement of conventional jib sail  The roller of the jib function much better too now, as the angle of pull on the line is more in line than in the previous arrangement.
My concern here is if the metal pieces at the bottom  made strong enough to withstand the stress of the mast and every thing?
Any comments are appreciated.
I am an owner of a Bay Raider Expedition which is sailed in the red sea Egypt in a very lively spot , favored by kite surfers !!!!

Peter Cockerton

Re: jib sail arrangement
« Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2014, 09:52 »
Adel

others have changed from self tacking with the club boom to non self tacking and conventional sheets. There are pros and cons for both, but the boat allows both options. When i had the problem of the aft end of the club boom catching the foredeck i put an extra shackle in the rope loop which holds the club boom to the bow fixing this raised my jib just enough to help clear the club boom hitting the deck.

It may also be down to too much mast rake caused by the shrouds being too tight, this causes the jib triangle to lean back and as such the aft end of the club boom hits the foredeck.

Another possibility is the method of attaching the rope loop to the bow fixing, the image in the handbook shows the loop folded over the boom, before seeing this i twisted and double up the loop, fed the loop over the club boom and attached the shackles this resulted in a shorter loop and as such put the club boom closer to the foredeck. The result is the front of the club is closer to the deck, it still swings clear but the aft end of the club boom catches the deck.

On your comment of the "metal pieces" at the bottom, i assume you’re talking about the stainless tabernacle for the mast, no concerns or reports of failures have ever been mentioned on the forum as far as i have read. The fixing of the tabernacle to the foredeck has a couple of posts mentioning the screws becoming loose however; this i believe is awaiting the yards comments.

Have dived the red sea on a couple of occasions and the coral heads are often just below the surface, some are buoyed i guess many are not; i was surprised at the strength of the currents at times and the occasional rough sea state.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

adel11252

Re: jib sail arrangement
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2014, 17:39 »
Thank you Peter very much.